Thursday, January 28, 2010

Worry Wart

In the past year or so, I have become more of a worrier about things I put in my body and/or things I am around. In particular I worry about aspartame and plastic. Here's why: I have read countless articles on both, and there is no definitive answer about either! Some people seem to think aspartame is going to kill us all someday, while others say it's nothing to worry about. The same goes with plastic. Studies have shown mice w/ lots of exposure to BPA (in plastic) develop tumors at rapid rates on their little mice breasts. Others discount those saying that the mice are getting way higher doses than we are exposed to. But BPA is everywhere...who's to say how much we are exposed to? I just have this nagging feeling that someday 10 or 15 years down the road there is going to be some huge breakthrough and the news will report about how scientists have discovered that some inane thing like plastic or fake sugar is the cause of all the cancer, autism, and the rest of the diseases that seem to be growing at an exponential rate.

Oh and thank God I don't have kids yet. I can't imagine having to worry about pesticides and hormones in their food. I feel like as far as that goes, I've already missed the boat. What's done is done. However with the other two things, here is how I deal with it. As far as plastic, I used to reuse water bottles (to use when I work out and stuff). I no longer do that, nor do I heat anything in plastic. In fact plastic doesn't go near my microwave. As for the aspartame, I still don't know. I am conscious of my calories...I feel like many low calorie foods have aspartame in them. So in general, I just consume it anyway. Fingers crossed that it's all ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment